Friday 23 January 2009

Tracy K's challenge 49

Title: The Good, The Bad, The Music

The Good: Everyday I get to dance and sing. I have groupies. I reach students on a mental, physical and emotional level. I get to make pretty bulletin boards and get to decorate the stage. I get to see students smile when they “get it”. I get to hear some of the sweetest sounds in the world.

The Bad: My colleagues and administrators don’t “get” the importance of music education. Their attitude and actions speak volumes. Antibacterial wipes and Germ-X are not the invincible warriors against little kid germs. Some days it’s just starting over. Again. The pay isn’t that great. Teaching beginning band every year is worse than some ancient torture device. If I have to hear “Hot Cross Buns” one more time I’m going to shove a conducting baton in my skull.

The Music: Everyday I change the lives of my students through the power of music. I empower them to make music. I encourage them to find the music within themselves. I enlighten them to the amazing music around them. Everyday I make connections with young people on mental, physical and emotional levels. Everyday I hear the music.


3 comments:

Tracy said...

Love this, Tracy K!!

If music be the food of life ... play on ....

Love, Tracy G

Ella Swan said...

This looks great. Is it digital? The journalling is lovely...don't worry about your colleagues, you're obviously doing a great job with the kids!

Ali said...

Wonderful job! It looks great and the journaling is AWESOME!