Monday 16 May 2011

So are you ready for another journaling challenge?

This idea was one from Heather.


The first big news story that you remember exactly what you were doing when you heard about it.

I know my  Mother remembers when JFK was killed, where she was and what she was doing.
My first news story like that was Dianna's death, but then I also remember their wedding, our school hired tvs and we spent the day enthralled as she married her prince.

Sept 11th another biggie. I know exactly where I was and what I was doing as the first stories filtered through to us in South Africa that sunny afternoon. The horror I felt watching the towers collapse and knowing this was real and not a movie.

Otherwise if you have been affected by something that made the news.
Flooding, fires in Australia for example.


The first one is from me,
Title: Charles and Diana
With the focus being on William and Catherine's wedding I couldn't help but remember Charles and Diana's wedding and where I was and what my life was like at that time.


My journaling:
I remember watching the royal wedding in Miss Norton’s biology lab. Wynberg Girls High had hired televisions so that we could all watch at school. Because of sanctions and equity we were unable to hear any of the British singers and musicians, however the South African singers and musicians we listened to were amazing. I was in love with the whole concept of this beautiful woman meeting her prince, falling in love and getting married. From those first glimpses of her green wellington boots before the world knew who this mystery woman was, to those famous photos of her backlit holding one of the children she taught at her nursery school. Her shyness, her hair do so much style to emulate. I wanted to be just like her.

1 comment:

Christine said...

This is such an interesting topic I want to go back to very soon. The first big news event I remember was when the Challenger shuttle exploded. It's somewhat ironic to think of today, when the last shuttle was lauched this morning.

I love the romantic feel of your layout about Diana's wedding.

Thanks for the idea!!